Umami Anasazi Beans
- 1 cup dried anasazi beans or pinto beans, soaked for 12 hours or overnight
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups onion half moon slices
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup mushrooms finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups vegan beef style broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons red miso
- 1 teaspoon tamari optional
- Rinse and drain the soaked beans.
- In an uncovered pressure cooker, heat the olive oil on high. Add the onion and sugar and cook on high for 10 minutes. You don’t want to burn the onions, but you do want to caramelize them, so stirring frequently is essential, as is adding water (as necessary) to avoid sticking. After 10 minutes, the onions should be soft and brown. Add the beans, mushrooms, liquid smoke, paprika, broth, and water. Stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to pressure. Cook at high pressure for 5 to 7 minutes. Allow for a natural release. Remove the lid and stir in the miso. For a saltier flavor, add the tamari.
Recipe and Image from Vegan Pressure Cooking: Beans, Grains, and One-Pot Meals in Minutes (Fair Winds Press, January 2015) by JL Fields
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 677mg | Potassium: 838mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 9.9% | Vitamin C: 11.2% | Calcium: 7.3% | Iron: 15.9%