Swiss Chard and Chickpea Stew
- 10 oz fresh chard washed and chopped
- 14 oz garbanzos cooked
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 day old slice of bread
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Put the chard in a bowl with water and salt and soak for 5 to 7 minutes. Then remove it from the water and set aside.
- Heat three tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat, add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Once slightly browned, transfer into a blender.
- Add the slice of bread to the same pan and toast on both sides, about 3 minutes. When it is golden brown, add it to the blender along with the garlic.
- Add the onions and sauté for about 3 minutes, if necessary, add more oil. Cook until transparent.
- Once the onion is transparent, lower the heat, add the paprika, stir and add the chard quickly to avoid burning.
- Add three tablespoons of vinegar and a cup of water into the blender. Blend the garlic and bread into a creamy consistency.
- Add the blended garlic and bread to the pan. Add the chickpeas and spices and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. If it starts to become too dry, add a little water.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest for 3 minutes. Serve accompanied with sliced bread.
Calories: 214kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 11gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 197mgPotassium: 631mgFiber: 10gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 4489IUVitamin C: 25mgCalcium: 109mgIron: 5mg