Canned Split Pea Soup
Servings: 4 pints
- 1 pound yellow split peas dried
- 2 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander ground
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- In a large stockpot, bring the split peas and water to a boil.
- Simmer gently, covered for about 1 hour or until peas have softened.
- Skim foam from the top of the soup as it cooks. Stir in remaining ingredients and continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Check consistency and if necessary, thin with water.
- Ladle into jars leaving 1 inch of headspace: Cap and seal.
- Place in canner with 2 to 3 inches of hot water.
- Pressure cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes on High. Once done, allow pressure to come down naturally before opening the cooker.
Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1788mg | Potassium: 1180mg | Fiber: 30g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 273IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 5mg