Canned Pasta Sauce
Servings: 4 pints
- 5 pounds tomatoes cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cups onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms chopped
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar to taste
- Place tomatoes in large saucepan and boil for 25 minutes uncovered. Allow cooling slightly then process through a food mill or sieve to remove skins and seeds.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions, garlic, and mushrooms until tender.
- Place the sautéed vegetables in a stockpot, add tomatoes and remainder of ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered for approximately 25 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Skim any foam from the top of the sauce as you stir. Taste and add more brown sugar if desired as tomatoes vary in tartness.
- If more sugar is added bring to a simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove bay leaves. Ladle into jars leaving 1 inch of headspace.
- Cap and seal. Place in the canner with 2 to 3 inches of hot water.
- Pressure cook for 20 minutes on High pressure. Once done, allow pressure to come down naturally before opening the cooker.
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 908mg | Potassium: 1613mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 5056IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 3mg