Calamari in Unmido
- 1 ½ pounds calamari fresh or frozen, thawed and drained
- 14.5 ounce canned tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 glass white wine
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1 bunch parsley chopped
- 2 anchovies
- 1 pinch hot pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
To clean the calamari:
- Detach the head from the “hat”. Pull carefully, as most of the innards that are attached to the head. Under running water, pull the skin off the little hat and run water inside. While you are cleaning, you might feel a stiff, plastic-like cartilage quill. The end will be sticking out at the open edge of the hat where there is a little point. Gently pull it out. Set the little hat aside. Separate the tentacles from the eyes – keep the tentacles and throw the rest away. Grab the tentacles and feel in the middle for the little beak. You can just pop it by squeezing the sides gently, or by pushing it from behind. Slice the little hat into strips.
To cook the calamari:
- In the unheated pressure cooker, add 2 Tablespoon of olive oil, the garlic clove, the pinch of hot pepper and anchovies. Turn the flame on the lowest setting and stir everything around to flavor the oil (about 3 minutes).
- Add the calamari and lightly color them. Add the wine and let it evaporate a bit. Add the chopped tomatoes. Refill the can with water and add that and half of the chopped parsley.
- Swoosh everything around. Close and lock. Turn heat to high. When the cooker reaches pressure, turn heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes at high pressure depending on the size of the calamari. Release pressure. Mix in the lemon juice, a spritz of extra virgin olive oil and fresh parsley.