- 1½ pounds fresh asparagus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup shallots minced
- Pinch thyme
- 14 oz low sodium chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup half and half
- Clean the asparagus and trim off any tough stems. Cut the asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- In the pressure cooker over medium heat, lightly sauté the shallots in the butter, being very careful not to burn the butter. Stir in the asparagus, thyme, stock, and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Lock the lid in place, bring to HIGH pressure. Stabilize the pressure and cook for 10 minutes. When done, release the pressure and carefully remove the lid.
- In batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return to the pot, adjust seasonings and stir in the half and half. Serve with a garnish of fresh thyme.
Omit the half and half for a lighter soup with a healthy asparagus flavor.
Calories: 221kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 9gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 66mgPotassium: 707mgFiber: 5gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 1677IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 132mgIron: 5mg